Sign My Guestbook

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Meeting Cody for The First Time

Well it has been awhile since I posted. So I will begin by saying, lots has been going on in my life. Between baseball and softball, I am on the go all of the time. But one thing that has kinda taken center stage in our life is Katie's first boyfriend. This is not your typical relationship though, sadly it is a long distance one, and we all know how hard those are. Katie met Cody online through a mutual friend back in January. At the time, I was not happy about this, and I took her computer and her phone away from her. You hear so many scary things these days. I was worried that maybe is was some 50 year old pervert posing as a young boy just to meet young girls. Turns out I was wrong.

For the past 6 months Katie has been communicating with Cody, both on line and by phone and text message. Katie would put him on speaker phone and our whole family would talk to him, It was like we had a disembodied member of our family, he was just a voice on the phone. Of course we saw pictures of him that he posted on line or sent to Katie's phone. I thought that after a few weeks, they would get tired of each other and Cody would be old news. But...once again I was wrong.
We had been talking for quite some time about visiting Gettysburg, PA because Billy had been asking us to go. He and His Grandpa always talked about going so we planned a trip and coincidentally, guess who lives 20 minutes from Gettysburg? Yep Cody. So we decided we would take Katie to meet him. First I worried that they would not like each other when they met face to face, but, you guessed it I was wrong again. When we got to Gettysburg, our hotel room was not ready so we could not check in, which was bad because, we had left home very early, with the intention of getting our room and getting cleaned up before we went to meet Cody. Since our rooms was not ready, I had Katie called Cody to see if there were any hotels close by where we could go to get cleaned up before coming to see him. Unfortunatly he told us that there were no hotels closer than the one we were going to stay in, which happened to be 2 miles from his house. His mom said for us to come there, Katie was adamant that she could not meet him until she was cleaned up and beautified. But after lots of coaxing from Cody and his mom, we went straight to his house Katie was so worried and I think a little embarrassed. But it made no difference to Cody, they made an instant connection. His family was wonderful, they helped us to find a hotel, and drove there so that we could follow them so that we would not get lost. That evening, after we cleaned up. We went to dinner with Cody and his family and walked around Gettysburg for a while, they were all so very nice. We have definitely made some new friends.
The next day, we picked Cody up and we went on a tour of Gettysburg and then we went to the movies and for Pizza. Of course when it came time for us to take him home and head back to Akron ourselves, Katie and Cody were both sad to be parting but I told them we would come and see him again. To tell you the truth,I was sad to be leaving him too. In just 24 short hours, Cody Dodson made quite an impression on me and Katie's Dad. Honestly I was expecting to go there and find something that I would not like about Cody, but I honestly fell in love with him myself. He is truly and awesome young man and he cares alot about Katie.

0 comments: